Tonawanda NY ‘Entering a New Phase’ as It Celebrates State Funding to Offset Impact of Huntley Plant Closing FacebookTwitterLinkedInEmailPrint分享By Joseph Popiolkowski in the Buffalo News: If the inclusion last week of $30 million in the state budget to assist communities like the Town of Tonawanda affected by the closure of electric power generating stations was like winning the Super Bowl, then the ticker tape parade was held Thursday.A cross-section of elected officials, labor groups and others involved in the year-long advocacy effort on behalf of the town and Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda School District took a victory lap to celebrate the fund, which will offset the loss of $6 million in annual tax revenue from the closure of the NRG-owned Huntley power station.“The future is a little brighter today for our town because of this mitigation funding,” said Town Supervisor Joseph H. Emminger said during an afternoon news conference at the school district’s administration building.The state wants to phase out coal-burning power plants, and while Huntley is believed to be the first to close, it will not be the only one.Now, focus is turning to how to eventually wean communities off the limited transition funding by spurring economic development at the sites of the former plants.“The localities have been, if I may create a new verb, ‘Huntley’d,’” said Assemblyman Robin Schimminger, D-Kenmore, who secured the funding. “They’ve been ‘Huntley’d.’ They’re left with the carcass of the plant. They’ve been left with a big gap in their revenue.”Deputy County Executive Maria R. Whyte said federal help will be needed to clean up the sites and return them to productive use as the nation moves away from using fossil fuels for energy.“This property represents potential development somewhere down the road,” she said of the 100-acre Huntley site on River Road.In Tonawanda, the industrial area around Huntley is ready for a transformation, mainly through a brownfield remediation program, Emminger said.“We’re entering a new phase of our town,” he said. “The River Road corridor is our growth area.”Full story: Tonawanda enters ‘new phase’ in wake of Huntley closureWIVB TV News: Funding helps stabilize community after Huntley plant closes
The service costs $30 a day per child. The program gave staff the ability to have their kids remote learn in a Binghamton school without having to worry about who is watching their child. Able says her kid isn’t eligible for it but even if they were it would cost too much. The district says they are now able to offer this childcare program to more people, but those who don’t qualify are sharing concerns. “If it is a need that someone will have, I would encourage them to reach out that we can find the right option from there,” Dake said. After receiving the email, some parents, including Natassia Able, sent emails or called the school to express their frustration. Childcare is open when school is in session during the week and spots are being made available for Kindergarten thru 5th graders. “It doesn’t make sense for low income families,” Able said. “It doesn’t make sense for working moms. It’s an insult.” Slots for childcare are limited and open at six Binghamton locations, including the Binghamton High School. Larry Dake, Assistant Superintendent for Instruction and Budget, says the district thanks parents for their feedback. The new students participating will not start attending until early October and could possibly start on the first day of in person classes. The district says they came up with the cost after looking at similar community childcare facilities in the area and the cost would cover the staffing needed. BINGHAMTON (WBNG) — Binghamton City School District sent an email to parents about spots available for childcare for students learning during the school day. The district says they are working with the Department of Social Services and are willing to work with families who are in need.
Categories: Letters to the Editor, Opinion Thank you for your March 18 editorial, (“State needs to go all in on ethics reform”). Your Clean House Bill is a beautiful way to take corruption out of our state government, simple and comprehensive. I think 98 percent of us (we who can’t buy a politician) can get behind it. How awesome would that be in today’s world?Strong watchdog, wide-open government FOIL, Limit outside income (bribes), close LLC loophole, limit lobbyist access, leadership term limits.If independent, good government groups could write it up as a bill, we could all (Democrat, Republican, Conservative, Progressive, Green, Independent) statewide demand our purported representatives sign on, or we won’t vote for them. I, for one, pledge to not vote for politician who doesn’t “Do. Them. All.” Let we the people, come together and do it now. Hope, in a divisive world, is action.Pete Looker GlenvilleMore from The Daily Gazette:EDITORIAL: Find a way to get family members into nursing homesEDITORIAL: Beware of voter intimidationEDITORIAL: Thruway tax unfair to working motoristsFoss: Should main downtown branch of the Schenectady County Public Library reopen?EDITORIAL: Urgent: Today is the last day to complete the census
Mail Online UK 2 Feb 2012There is no such thing as a good divorce when children are involved, a study has concluded. The analysis of almost 1,000 families found that children suffer when their parents’ marriage ends – no matter how amicable the split. The researchers said their finding contradicts the widely-held belief that it is possible to have a ‘good divorce’ in which the children and adults emerge relatively unscathed. They called for marriage counsellors to make greater efforts to save marriages in distress and said that divorcing parents need to do more to protect their children from the fall out. …Researcher Paul Amato, a professor of family sociology at Pennsylvania State University, said divorcing parents should be given more advice on how to help their children adapt to the sudden change in circumstances. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2095181/A-divorce-good-children-matter-amicable-says-study.html#ixzz1lFlYwiov
OTHER: David Seymour / Jami-Lee Ross The Campaign To PROTECT has now been launched.The 3rd and final reading of the assisted suicide / euthanasia bill happened last night. The only way the liberals were able to get the bill ‘across the line’ was to offer a referendum – a tool that normally they want nothing to do with (remember the anti-smacking 87% referendum?). That’s how weak this bill is.The so-called ‘safeguards’ – many of which were not even allowed to be debated – will not guarantee the protection required for vulnerable people.We need to apply the precautionary principle: the higher the risk – the higher the burden of proof on those proposing liberalisation of the law. But the risk of abuse simply cannot be eliminated. How many euthanasia ‘mistakes’ are we willing to accept? We say NONE.That’s why we will be strongly and vigorously promoting a NO vote in the referendum at the end of next year. GREEN MPs: Voted For Euthanasia:Marama Davidson, Julie Anne Genter, Golriz Ghahraman, Gareth Hughes, Jan Logie, Eugenie Sage, James Shaw, Chloe Swarbrick (all 8 MPs) How they voted…..NATIONAL MPs:Voted Against Euthanasia:Kanwaljit Singh Bakshi, Maggie Barry, Andrew Bayly, David Bennett, Dan Bidois, Simon Bridges, Simeon Brown, Gerry Brownlee, David Carter, Jacqui Dean, Sarah Dowie, Paulo Garcia, Paul Goldsmith, Nathan Guy, Jo Hayes, Harete Hipango, Denise Lee, Melissa Lee, Agnes Loheni, Tim Macindoe, Todd McClay, Ian McKelvie, Todd Muller, Alfred Ngaro, Simon O’Connor, Parmjeet Parmar, Chris Penk, Maureen Pugh, Shane Reti, Alastair Scott, Nick Smith, Anne Tolley, Louise Upston, Nicky Wagner, Hamish Walker, Michael Woodhouse, Jonathan Young, Lawrence Yule (38)Voted For Euthanasia:Amy Adams, Paula Bennett, Chris Bishop, Judith Collins, Matt Doocey, Andrew Falloon, Brett Hudson, Nikki Kaye, Matt King, Barbara Kuriger, Mark Mitchell, Scott Simpson, Stuart Smith, Erica Stanford, Tim van de Molen, Nicola Willis, Jian Yang (17)LABOUR: Voted Against Euthanasia:David Clark, Anahila Kanongata’a-Suisuiki, Damien O’Connor, Adrian Rurawhe, Deborah Russell, Jenny Salesa, Aupito Tofe Sua William Sio, Jamie Strange, Rino Tirikatene, Phil Twyford, Meka Whaitiri, Michael Wood, Poto Williams (13) Voted For Euthanasia:Kiri Allan, Ginny Andersen, Jacinda Ardern, Tamati Coffey, Liz Craig, Clare Curran, Kelvin Davis, Ruth Dyson, Paul Eagle, Kris Faafoi, Peeni Henare, Chris Hipkins, Raymond Huo, Willie Jackson, Iain Lees-Galloway, Andrew Little, Marja Lubeck, Jo Luxton, Nanaia Mahuta, Trevor Mallard, Kieran McAnulty, Stuart Nash, Greg O’Connor, David Parker, Willow-Jean Prime, Priyanca Radhakrishnan, Grant Robertson, Carmel Sepuloni, Jan Tinetti, Louisa Wall, Angie Warren-Clark, Duncan Webb, Megan Woods (33)NZ FIRST MPs: Voted For Euthanasia:Darroch Ball, Shane Jones, Jenny Marcroft, Ron Mark, Tracey Martin, Clayton Mitchell, Mark Patterson, Winston Peters, Fletcher Tabuteau (all 9 MPs)
Club captain Harry Maguire has been named as the winner of Manchester United’s Goal of the Month award for January. Promoted Content7 Non-Obvious Things That Damage Your Phone6 Ridiculous Health Myths That Are Actually True2020 Tattoo Trends: Here’s What You’ll See This YearFans Don’t Know What She Looks Like Now11 Items You’ve Been Using Wrong Your Whole LifeTop 10 Most Romantic Nations In The WorldInsane 3D Spraying Skills Turn In Incredible Street ArtThe Very Last Bitcoin Will Be Mined Around 2140. Read MoreThis Guy Photoshopped Himself Into Celeb Pics And It’s Hysterical6 Extreme Facts About HurricanesBirds Enjoy Living In A Gallery Space Created For ThemEverything You Need To Know About Asteroid Armageddon Loading… But Maguire’s confident stride forward and unstoppable 20-yard shot soon dispelled any traces of apprehension within the United XI, and gave the skipper his first goal in United colours. The goal was one of 10 nominees for the award, but emerged as the clear winner with 38 per cent of the votes. read also:Berbatov backs Ighalo to fill Man Utd’s No.9 void Trailing behind were Nemanja Matic’s effort against Manchester City (24 per cent), Mason Greenwood’s inch-perfect finish against Norwich (12 per cent) and Juan Mata’s nerveless winner against Wolves in the Emirates FA Cup third-round replay (11 per cent). FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享 The centre-back’s thunderous effort away at Tranmere, in the fourth round of the Emirates FA Cup, earned the most votes in a poll on the club’s Official App. The trip to the Wirral had been billed as a potential ‘banana skin’ for Ole Gunnar Solskjaer’s men, due to the state of the Prenton Park pitch and with the Birkenhead-based side’s giant-killing success over Watford still fresh in the memory.Advertisement
Promoted ContentWorld’s Most Stunning Ceiling Designs Ever7 Of The Wealthiest Universities In The WorldWhat Happens To Your Brain When You Play Too Much Video Games?Best & Worst Celebrity Endorsed Games Ever MadeGreat Entertainer Became A Milestone In The History Of Censorship8 Fascinating Facts About CoffeeCouples Who Celebrated Their Union In A Unique, Unforgettable WayWho Earns More Than Ronaldo?7 Train Stations In The World You Wish To Stay At Longer7 Reasons It’s Better To Be A Vegan6 Incredibly Strange Facts About Hurricanes5 Of The World’s Most Unique Theme Parks Cristiano Ronaldo has confirmed his mum is stable after suffering a stroke. Cristiano Ronaldo with his mother Dolores in 2016, when the Portuguese football star was still playing for Real Madrid The Juventus striker flew home to the island of Madeira to be with his mother on Tuesday after she was admitted to Dr Nelio Mendonca Hospital. On Tuesday evening the five-time Ballon d’Or winner tweeted: “Thank you for all your messages of support for my mum. She is currently stable and recovering in the hospital. “I and my family would like to thank the medical team looking after her, and kindly ask that we are all given some privacy at this time.” Ronaldo’s mother Dolores previously beat breast cancer after she was diagnosed with the disease in 2007. Dolores is believed to have suffered an ischemic stroke, which is the most common type.Advertisement Loading… Ronaldo’s former team Sporting Lisbon, of who Dolores is the ambassador of the club’s foundation, sent the 65-year-old well wishes. A club statement said: “Sporting Clube de Portugal wishes Dolores Aveiro all the best and wishes she makes a speedy recovery.” Ronaldo’s mother Dolores previously beat breast cancer after she was diagnosed with the disease in 2007. And in February last year, ahead of flying to Italy to celebrate Ronaldo’s 35th birthday, Dolores admitted to new health problems. Read Also:Ronaldo’s mum says Son Rescues Juve from 20-yrs drought She told a Portuguese TV station: “I was operated on another breast in Madrid, I’ve had radiotherapy and now I’m fighting for my life.” FacebookTwitterWhatsAppEmail分享
“The investigation is from thebattalion commander down to the company commander. They should look after thewelfare of their men. They should have used dalawangsasakyan para hindi sila crowded satruck,” said Pamuspusan. “Kasi we have to anticipate possibleincidents like i-ambush sila or may landmine or vehicular accident. Or dapat naglakad na lang sila kasi malapit lang ang kanilangheadquarters. Ito hindi na plano properly,” Pamuspusan said. He also wondered why the battalion didnot use police 6×6 trucks. A truck transporting RMFB policemenfell into a ravine in Barangay Ginomoy, Alimodian. Four policemen died whileover 20 others were injured. The truck was owned by the local government unitof Alimodian. It was taking the policemen back to their camp from an offensiveoperation. RMFB is temporarily headed by PoliceLieutenant John Lemuel Villafranca, Batiles’ deputy. PHOTO BY IAN PAUL CORDERO/PN ILOILO City – The commander of thePolice Regional Office 6’s (PRO-6) Regional Mobile Force Battalion (RMFB) wasrelieved from his post. “We need an investigation para alam natin ang lapses. May nakita akong mali sa kanila. Kahit may namatay at may nasugatan, weneed to this,” said Pamuspusan. PRO-6 director Police BrigadierGeneral Rene Pamuspusan cited “command responsibility” for relieving Batiles. The director said he already met thefamilies of the casualties and also visited the injured in hospitals. Police Lieutenant Colonel Leo Batilesfaces investigation over the vehicular accident in Barangay Ginomoy, Alimodian,Iloilo on Saturday afternoon. “I assured them of our support. I madesure their needs were being provided,” he said./PN
“Thirty one personnel are today in hospital,”it said in a statement. “More tests are being carried out.” PARIS – Nearly 700 sailors assigned tothe French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle’s naval group have testedpositive for the coronavirus, the armed forces ministry said on Wednesday. The ministry said 1,767 mariners, nearlyall from the Charles de Gaulle itself, had been tested and results showed atleast 668 to be infected with the new coronavirus. Results are still not infrom a third of the tests. The carrier, which had most recentlybeen taking part in exercises with northern European navies in the Baltic Sea,arrived home in Toulon two weeks earlier than expected after about 40 crewmembers showed signs of COVID-19 symptoms. French navy soldiers wearing facemasks stand onboard the French aircraft carrier Charles de Gaulle, as it arrives in the southern French port of Toulon, France with sailors onboard infected with novel coronavirus. AP FILE PHOTO Sick crew members had been placed understrict medical observation on board the nuclear-powered carrier and a teamequipped to carry out the first tests airlifted to the vessel. (Reuters)
BROOKVILLE, Ind. — The Franklin County School Board voted at their recent meeting 5 to 1 to consolidate all the district’s middle school students to Brookville Middle School.The change will go into effect the first day of the 2017-2018 school year.All classes, athletics, and extra-curricular activities will be consolidated to Brookville.Changes will also be made in the district’s lower grades as well.Brookville Middle School’s 5th-grade students will be at the Elementary school starting next year, but the 6th-grade students will remain at the middle school.The board cited declining enrollment and funding as the reason for the change.