Posted in lmpezbqaxtxt

Alabama-Clemson For NCAA Title

first_imgThe national championship race is down to two.Top-ranked Clemson and No. 2 Alabama will face off in the desert after dominating wins in the national semifinals Dec. 31.The Tigers romped in the second half for a 37-17 win over No. 4 Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl, while the Crimson Tide rolled Michigan State 38-0 in the Cotton Bowl.The Jan. 11 title game in Glendale, Arizona, matches a high-scoring offense led by Clemson quarterback Deshaun Watson against Nick Saban’s latest dominating defense at Alabama, which limited the Big Ten champion Spartans to 239 yards.There’s another story line to the title game. Clemson coach Dabo Swinney is an Alabama alumnus who played on the Tide’s 1992 national championship team.Now, he’s going against the greatest coach of this generation. Saban has won three national titles in the last six years at Alabama, to go along with a BCS title at LSU.Clemson and Alabama will be playing for the first time since 2008, when Alabama won 34-10 in a game that signaled the Tide’s return to national prominence under Saban.That was also a pivotal year for the Tigers. Embattled coach Tommy Bowden resigned after six games, and Swinney — who was in charge of receivers — took over as the head coach. Serving at first on an interim basis, he got the job permanently after leading Clemson to bowl eligibility.Now, he’s got the Tigers within one win of their first national title since 1981. “I knew that we would be here,” Swinney said. “It was just a matter of when.”Alabama is playing for another title after being upset by Ohio State in the semifinals of the inaugural College Football Playoff.Saban said his team came into this playoff with a different attitude. “Last year we sort of just participated in the game,” he said. “This year, we really wanted to make a statement and do something special.”(PAUL NEWBERRY, AP National Writer) TweetPinShare0 Shareslast_img read more

Posted in gzmqbjoksvvv

Brazils Youth Too Much For US Mens Soccer

The United States entered Wednesday’s friendly against world powerhouse Brazil looking to extend their 5 match winning streak. Unfortunately that momentum, as well as 67,619 screaming fans packed into FedEx Field in Landover, MD, were not enough to stop Brazil from claiming victory 4-1.The Brazilian national team came into yesterday’s game led by Neymar, hailed by former national team member and soccer icon Pele as the next great Brazilian futbol star. First half goals from Neymar and Thiago Silva gave Brazil a lead that they would never surrender.According to the Washington Post, USA head coach Juergen Klinsmann praised his team’s resilience but felt that they played without a lot of tenacity.“We need to get nastier, maybe a little bit still too naïve, maybe we don’t want to hurt people. We have to step on their toes more, get them more frustrated.”Team USA Forward Herculez Gomez, who scored the only goal for the U.S., noticed how the game changed when his team began to force the issue against the respected Brazilians.“Sometimes you see Brazil on the calendar and you go in with a lot of respect for their players, but they are just like us,” he said. “They bleed, they hurt, so you’ve got to get after it. You saw in the second half when we pressed and imposed our game, they were the ones on their heels, they were the ones trying to hit us, they were the ones sweating and battling and fighting to track back.”The U.S. had ample opportunities to score during the second half but failed to rally from their deficit. The crowd of 67,619 was the largest crowd to watch a soccer game in the Washington area. read more

Posted in vtuctqxvrymq

Robbie Keane tips Pochettino for long stay at Spurs

first_imgRobbie Keane believes that Tottenham are “on the verge of something special” under Mauricio Pochettino and expects the Argentine to prolong his stay at the club.Despite several reports linking Pochettino to the United job, former Spurs striker Robbie is convinced he’s going nowhere.“I’m very convinced he’ll be here for a long time,” Keane told Sky Sports.“He’s said so many times that he’s happy at the club. He’s said he’s building something very, very exciting.Robbie Keane, Jason McAteerMcAteer reignites his feud with Keane Manuel R. Medina – September 14, 2019 Former footballer Jason McAteer has criticized his ex-Republic of Ireland teammate, Roy Keane, for his obsession with winning a trophy.“He hasn’t won anything since he’s been here but the progress since he’s come in… when Jamie (Redknapp) and I were here, Tottenham were a mid-table team, maybe getting to a quarter-final.“It went on another step under Martin Jol. Harry (Redknapp) then came in and did an exceptional job. This club is moving forward with (Pochettino) at the helm. It’s important he stays here.“For him to win something at this club, for what he’s built, would be great for the team. He’s turned people like Harry Kane and Dele Alli into superstars. It’s been amazing, so it’s important for the club and Daniel Levy to keep him here.“Winning a trophy needs to be as soon as possible but what he’s done in the last few years has been exceptional. I think they’re on the verge, Tottenham, of doing something special.”last_img read more

Posted in jaymlgfdbqit

Underpaid women 7th standard student answers Math question with a social angle

first_imgFacebookPhotos of a Mathematics exam paper answer sheet apparently completed by a seventh standard student is now the hottest debating point among Indian users in social media platforms like Facebook and Twitter.The question was very simple: “A woman earns Rs 18,000 in 15 months. How much money she will earn in a month? How much she can earn in seven months? How long will it take for her to earn Rs 30,000?”The student answered each of these questions correctly without any mistakes. And at the end of the answer, he wrote a very thought-provoking sentence, “This woman worker is underpaid.”As this kind of an answer was never expected from a child studying in the seventh standard, photos of the answer sheet are now going viral on the internet. But the words from this student pose a million questions to the Indian society, which is primarily male-oriented.Why women are being treated as second-class citizens, especially in the labor sector? PixabayCiting the example of Kerala, we can clearly say that there is a heavy disparity in pay between men and women workers. A man who is doing construction work earns somewhere around Rs.700-1000 a day in Kerala, but a woman gets only between Rs.300-450.In the textile industry too, women employees are facing severe atrocities from the side of the management. A year ago, it was reported that some of the leading textile showrooms in Kerala were not paying as per norms to saleswomen, and they are not supposed to sit inside the shop even when customers were not there.These are broad daylight facts we notice at a time when the whole nation is talking and fighting for gender justice. If the condition of women in a highly educated state like Kerala is so pathetic, then what will be the case of women workers in other states?It’s time for authorities to answer the way the Seventh Standard student mentioned in his/her answer sheet.last_img read more

Posted in nrbeeohtbedc

Union Budget A ProPoor and Rural DevelopmentCentric Plan

first_imgFinance Minister Arun Jaitley’s budget on Thursday neither seems to be in favour of the poor nor it looked like a move towards rural development, with ₹92,398 crore less allocation than the 2013-14 budget.Jaitley announced his first Union Budget on Thursday, which was lacking proposals for the below poverty line population of India, which according to the United Nations recent report is 394.8 million. Even Prime Minister’s Economic Advisory Council Chairman C Rangarajan’s report suggested an increase of 93.2 million poor to 363 million.The Modi-government’s agenda to place India among the developed nations by 2022 seem to linger around in the absence of plenty of allocations against increased statistics of the poor in India.The budget proposed on Thursday allocates ₹8,000 crore under the rural housing scheme or Indira Awaas Yojana for the below poverty line (BPL) people against ₹15,184 crore allocated when P Chidambaram was the Finance Minister under the UPA government regime in 2013.From the UN report, it is evident that the previous allocation was either insufficient or lacked proper implementation, which is enough to create uncertainity about NDA government’s aim to eliminate poverty with almost half the allocated amount from the last budget. The Rashtriya Swasthya Bima Yojna meant to provide free insurance to BPL people, both in private and government hospitals, have no mention either in this budget or in the last years’ budget. However, Chidambaram proposed to extend this facility to rickshaw, auto rickshaw, taxi drivers, sanitation workers, rag pickers and mine workers.However, previous year’s budget allocated a sum of ₹21,239 crore for the National Rural Health Mission combined with urban mission, while Jaitley’s budget proposes to set up 15 Model Rural Health Research Centres.Jaitley has already proposed to introduce Shyama Prasad Mukherji Rurban Mission, which will help develop infrastructure in the rural areas including economic activities and skill development.Allocation Differences in Rural ProgrammesJaitley’s budget allocation for the poor and the rural together is almost one-fourth of what Chidambaram’s ministry allocated in 2013.Jaitley proposed ₹3600 crore for drinking water, whereas Chidambaram had allocated ₹16,660 crore for both drinking water and sanitation—which looms nowhere in the former’s budget. Except for 15 Health Research Centers, there is no mention of allocation in the rural health sector, for which Chidambaram had proposed ₹21,239 crore.The budget allocation proposal for MGNREGA last year was ₹33,000 crore while this year Jaitley just proposed to implement the scheme more productively. The Housing scheme got ₹15,184 crore in 2013 which has been reduced by almost half to ₹8,000 crore.For the development of farmers, Jaitley announced ₹1,000 crore for various irrigation plan under Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sichayin Yojana, while Chidambaram had proposed ₹12,204 crore for the Rashtriya Krishi Vikas Yojana.The Pradhan Mantri Gram Sadak Yojana too has witnessed a fall in the allocation to ₹14,389 crore from ₹21,700 during Chidambaram’s time.Whereas, allocation for Rural Development Ministry in 2013-14 budget was increased by ₹80,194 crore, the same has been reduced by almost similar amount in 2014-15 budget, when the NDA government has set a target to attain development within eight years.Extremely short budgetary allocation for upliftment of 394.8 million poor seems to be too difficult to achieve within such a short period, even if it’s a startup budget.last_img read more

Posted in fewjzcltzucd

2 Civilians killed in Kabul car bomb attack

first_imgAfghan security personnel and civilians gather next to a damaged car at the site of a car bomb attack in Kabul on 17 March. Photo: AFPA Taliban suicide attacker blew up a bomb-laden car in Kabul during rush hour on Saturday, killing at least two civilians, as militants dial up pressure in the capital amid calls for peace talks.Several others were wounded in the blast claimed by the Taliban that the Afghan interior ministry said had targeted global security company G4S.It was the fourth suicide attack in Kabul in three weeks and comes days after the top US general in Afghanistan said protecting the city was “our main effort”.It also comes as the Taliban faces growing pressure to take up Afghan President Ashraf Ghani’s offer of peace talks to end the 16-year war. So far it has given only a muted response.”Around 9:10 am this morning a suicide car bomb exploded in Police District Nine of Kabul,” interior ministry spokesman Najib Danish told AFP.Two civilians were killed and three others were wounded in the attack, Danish said. The blast happened at a time when many people would have been driving to their offices on the first day of the working week.Health ministry spokesman Wahid Majrooh told AFP at least four people had been wounded.Deputy interior ministry spokesman Nasrat Rahimi said the bomber was heading towards G4S but “detonated himself before reaching the target”.In a WhatsApp message sent to journalists Taliban spokesman Zabihullah Mujahid said the bomber had targeted a convoy of “foreign troops”.”All occupiers were killed,” Mujahid said.The attack comes weeks before the start of the spring fighting season which is expected to be more intense this year as militants respond to intensifying US-led air strikes.Kabul a prioritySaturday’s suicide assault comes days after General John Nicholson, who leads US and NATO forces in Afghanistan, said protecting the city was a priority for foreign forces.”Kabul is our main effort right now, to harden Kabul, to protect the people of Kabul and the international community that are here because of the strategic impact that has and the importance to the campaign,” Nicholson told reporters on Wednesday.Taliban and Islamic State militants have been ramping up attacks in Kabul in recent months, increasing pressure on the Afghan government, which is frequently lambasted for its inability to protect civilians.The most recent was on 9 March when a suicide bomber blew himself up in a Shiite area of the city, killing at least nine people. IS claimed responsibility.Despite calls for the Taliban to sit down with the Afghan government, it appears to have few reasons to negotiate.The group has been resurgent since the withdrawal of US-led NATO combat troops at the end of 2014, taking back territory and devastating Afghanistan’s beleaguered security forces.In October, insurgents controlled or influenced nearly half of Afghanistan’s districts — double the percentage in 2015, the US government’s office of the Special Inspector General for Afghanistan Reconstruction said in January.Over the same period, the watchdog said, the number of districts under Afghan government control or influence fell to its lowest level since December 2015.last_img read more

Posted in bwxjpxjscies

SSC releases final merit list of asst teachers for Classes IX X

first_imgKolkata: The School Service Commission on Tuesday released the final merit list of assistant teachers for Classes IX and X and announced that counselling for the same will be held from September 6 to 20. According to sources in SSC, the total number of vacancies stands at 12,905, while the merit list figures 7,662 candidates. The waiting list has the names of 8,256 candidates. It may be mentioned that 15,908 candidates had sat for the examination, that was held on November 27, 2016. The final panel was prepared on March 12 this year. The counselling for Bengali will not be held, as a litigation is going on in the Calcutta High Court.last_img read more

Posted in pghosvtfqfpe

Would You Fly on an AIBacked Plane Without a Pilot

first_img Register Now » 2 min read Free Webinar | Sept. 9: The Entrepreneur’s Playbook for Going Global Growing a business sometimes requires thinking outside the box. You probably learned in grade school that all you really need to fly is more drag than lift. But by now you know that to start an airline, what you mostly need is money — billions of dollars worth — for airplanes, crew and fuel.Except that Boeing envisions a future in which you can remove the crew part from your shopping list. The aerospace giant is currently studying ways to make already-existing autopilot technology safe enough to fly an aircraft by itself, Reuters reports. The most important ingredient for making autopilots safer, according to Boeing Vice President Mike Sinnett, is artificial intelligence. Autopilots already fly today’s commercial jets from a few minutes after takeoff to a few minutes before landing, but they have to be programmed beforehand by human pilots, and reprogrammed every time weather or traffic gets in the way of the flight path.But infused with AI, the autopilots could potentially do that reprogramming themselves. Sinnett tells Reuters that Boeing will “fly on an airplane next year some artificial intelligence that makes decisions that pilots would make.”He didn’t elaborate, but did note that there are immense safety challenges. Even if the technology works, the flying public and government regulators still have to accept it, a dilemma that parallels a key challenge for companies working on self-driving cars. How to convince them is still a mystery to Boeing, though.”I have no idea how we’re going to do that,” Sinnett told Reuters. “But we’re studying it right now and we’re developing those algorithms.”Meanwhile, Boeing’s chief rival Airbus is working on a fleet of autonomous flying taxis. It’s planning to have a full-size prototype before the end of the year and have a marketable design by 2020. This story originally appeared on PCMag June 9, 2017last_img read more